Date Published: 14-Mar-2019 Deadline of Submitting EOI: 27-Mar-2019 11:59 PM Manila local time
Consultant Type Individual
Selection Method Individual Consultants Selection (ICS)
Technical Proposal Not Applicable
Selection Title Capacity Development for Project Implementation
Package Name Social Sector Coordinator
Advance Action No
Engagement Period 14 MONTH
Consulting Services Budget USD 66,000
Budget Type Estimated
Approval Number 9074
Approval Date 29-Jan-2016
Estimated Short-listing Date 10-Apr-2019
Estimated Commencement Date 01-May-2019
Open to non-Member Countries No
Possibility of contract extension Not known
Possibility of consideration for downstream assignment Not known
Indefinite Delivery Contract (IDC) No
Country of assignment Myanmar
Country of eligibility for national consultants Same as country of assignment
Project Officer Christopher A. Spohr
Designation Principal Portfolio Management Specialist
Asian Development Bank
Primary Agency Country Agency Role
Ministry of Planning and Finance Myanmar Executing Agency
Type Publication Date Published By Duration of Advertisement Deadline
Original 09-Jan-2019 Sandar Win 7 DAYS 15-Jan-2019
Re-Advertisement 14-Mar-2019 Christopher A. Spohr 14 DAYS 27-Mar-2019
Cost Items Amount in USD
Remuneration and Other Expenses
All activities and inputs in the TOR but not limited to remuneration, per diem, air travel, miscellaneous travel expenses, report preparation, production, and transmission, land transportation, communications, etc. 64,794
Terms of Reference
Expertise Social Sector Coordinator
Expertise Group Social & Political Science
TOR Keywords Social Sector Coordinator
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) Myanmar Resident Mission (MYRM) is implementing a technical assistance (TA) 9074-MYA: Capacity Development for Project Implementation) under a Grant funded by the Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction and ADB’s Asian Development Fund (ADF). The TA needs a national Social Sector Coordinator to help improve the project cycle management in the social sector.
The Consultant will support Output 1 of the TA and help address sector- and project-
specific processing and implementation issues are addressed in institution and capacity strengthening
support under the TA and in the application of gained knowledge and skills in sector strategy
formulation and project identification. The Consultant will also assist a team of relevant TA
consultants in ensuring that all EAs of ADB-supported projects are familiar with necessary steps to
follow both the Government and ADB processes.
Scope of Work
The Social Sector Coordinator will provide technical and operational support to relevant
government counterpart offices and staff through the Resident Mission (RM) in handling loan/Technical
Assistance (TA) processing and administration, sector portfolio management, sector work, and other
general sector activities with focus on transport and energy. The incumbent will report to the
designated International Staff. Under the supervision of the designated International Staff, the
1. Contribute to social sector related work in the field by assisting in research and analytical
activities including those required for the Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) preparation, updating
information on the assigned sector(s), analyzing the sector’s financial, institutional, and economic
issues, and preparing reports on the subjects;
2. Assist in the preparation of sector assessments including the creation and maintenance of up-to-date
databases of future government investment plans and approval processes, organizational structure and
policies relevant to the assigned sectors;
3. Liaise with and support MYRM, HQ, government agencies, development partners, private sector partners,
and other stakeholders to facilitate policy dialogue, ADB’s country strategy and program, project
identification and pipeline formulation, and loan/TA processing and implementation in the social
4. Provide support to loan and TA processing and implementation in the social sectors, including but not
limited to review of technical designs, cost estimates, project readiness filters, monitoring
implementation progress as well as liaison with government counterparts on project matters;
5. Assist in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA Completion Reports in the social
sectors as assigned, support Sector and Country Portfolio Review missions as a mission member when
required, and provide support for policy dialogues with government on policy matters and institutional
6. Maintain close cooperation with development partners on issues with assigned sectors and actively
assist in MYRM’s participation in the Cooperation Partners Group (CPG) activities including its
Workstreams as well as the government-CPG sector coordination groups;
7. Help organize and participate in social sector related meetings, conferences, seminars, and
workshops; and organize and conduct training workshops for EAs in areas relating to procurement and
project administration/management; and
8. Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the designated supervisor.
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
• Technical inputs on designs and cost estimates, project readiness filters, advance actions, and procurement packaging
• Advice to Government ministries, EAs and sector entities on ADB guidelines on procurement, recruitment of consultants and preparation of tender documents
• Support to Missions in deepening their understanding of the country system, project processing and
implementation requirements under the government ODA management regulations, and in conducting regular
government consultation on policy and institutional issues
• Assistance in conducting research, updating information on relevant sectors’ financial, institutional
and economic analyses and sector reports prepared
• Support in loan and TA administration for the social sectors, including regular monitoring of contract
awards and disbursements for social sector Loans and Grants
• Loans, Grants and TAs agreements monitored and complied
• Help monitor the submission of bid documents and bid evaluation reports submitted by executing
agencies reviewed and monitored up to approval stage
• Contract award and disbursements forecast/projection; reason for shortfalls/problems identified and
• Inputs in project completion reports TA completion reports
• Support in organizing meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops
• Organize training for EAs on procurement and project administration/management
• Other duties that may be assigned from time to time
Minimum Qualification Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in social sector related subjects including engineering disciplines and sector
management preferably with advanced training.
• At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in project management and implementation,
preferably with ADB-funded projects. Experience with World Bank-funded projects or from a
transport/energy Government agency is an added advantage.
• Demonstrated expertise and experience within the assigned sector.
• Experience & knowledge of various stages of the project cycle (project planning/ feasibility analysis
/ detailed design / project implementation / construction supervision / contract management) is
• Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures.
• Familiarity with accepted best practices of procurement and disbursement processes.
• Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
• Able to mentor Administrative Staff to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
• Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location.
• Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
Minimum General Experience 8 Years
Minimum Specific Experience (relevant to assignment) 7 Years
Regional/Country Experience Required
Schedule and Places of Assignment (chronological and inclusive of travel)
Schedule Type Intermittent
Max. Working Days/Week Home Office 5
City and Country Working Days Estimated Start Date Estimated End Date Other Details (use if place selected is Others)
Naypyitaw, Myanmar 176 01-May-2019 30-Apr-2020 Places and dates are indicative.
Yangon, Myanmar 11 01-May-2020 30-May-2020 Places and dates are indicative.
Other City, Myanmar 11 01-Jun-2020 30-Jun-2020 Places and dates are indicative.